23 Things banner

23 Things banner
23 Things banner

Monday 16 August 2010

Wikis


Seemingly like many other Cam23 participants my use of wikis has been limited to wikipedia which, like others, I make fairly extensive use of whilst recognising it has limitations. Indeed I have been quite surprised that it seems to be creeping in as a quoted source for NACO authority proposals recently. I've never contributed information to the site though. I don't really regard myself as a big enough authority on anything to do so.
With a few colleagues I recently considered creating a wiki for our departmental intranet pages but ultimately we preferred use of a blog. This decision came about after careful consideration of exactly what we wanted to use the new technology for - in this case sharing and archiving policy and practice issues relating to cataloguing and classification. These are generally issued by heads of departments or at least a small number of individuals and for this reason - we didn't really see the need for editing (though comments could still be made on a blog).
However, I can see the use for wikis - and think the key word associated with them has to be COLLABORATION. They are currently no doubt best used where input from as many people as possible is welcome. If editing could be restricted more easily the use of wikis may even widen.
Image for this thing courtesy of cogdogblog.

No comments:

Post a Comment