23 Things banner

23 Things banner
23 Things banner

Tuesday 13 July 2010

LibraryThing - is it really for libraries?

Ok, so perhaps not the most interesting or inspiring image but you get the idea. I've discovered LibraryThing and added a few titles in order to play about with it. Couldn't agree more with the posting of Moonhare on the blog entitled On silent white wings - I could spend way too much time on this adding my own personal library. I think the main benefit of doing this would be getting recommendations and reviews of titles I don't own or haven't heard of yet. The recommendation section certainly seems more beneficial than amazon. I always find part of the problem with amazon is I buy things for other people and then get recommendations based on those purchases. LibraryThing is user-friendly but one of the most disappointing aspects for me was the lack of UK libraries which subscribe and it is interesting to note the lack of reviews on the CSL LibraryThing account. Having said this I don't doubt the importance of the addition of Web 2.0 technologies to OPACS. The addition of bookcovers, contents pages, reviews etc. or at least links to these is becoming something that is increasinlgy expected by our users and though I am a cataloguer I have nothing against tags appearing alongside traditional subject headings. Whether LibraryThing is the way to achieve this, however, I wouldn't like to say. I am not an expert on the alternatives and the pros and cons of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment